6.02.2011

Making a Difference.


During my stay in South Africa, I went to four feedings. Hundreds of children come to a feeding to be served one meal, maybe the only meal they get all day. Maybe even all week. During one feeding, I was in charge of serving cups of juice at the end of the food line. I'd say roughly 300 children showed up. The line seemed to be never-ending, and while I was amazed at how many children were getting fed with what seemed like so little, they eventually ran out of food to serve. The last few plates to be served were simply just a few spoonfuls of juice in the bottom of a pot of beans. A good 30 kids were left hungry, without a meal or even as little as one bean. I asked what we were going to do, and a lady looked at me and said, "Give the rest of them juice." Juice. Sugary, insufficient juice. My heart ached for these children. If there had just been ONE MORE pot of vegetables, these children would have gotten to eat.



$5 a month feeds one child. Could you manage that? Could you stand to spare $5 or $10 a week that would normally be spent on overpriced coffee, or a dessert that you are too full to even finish? (Don't get me wrong, Starbucks and sweets are two of my weaknesses.) Any contribution, whether it be big or small makes a difference. A HUGE difference. I have added a donation link to the side of this blog, in hopes that anyone who feels it in their heart to make a contribution, will. I am also brainstorming different ways that I can come up with money to send to my friends at Ten Thousand Homes, the organization that I stayed with while I visited. Dusting off my sewing machine and selling homemade bags, coin pouches, headbands or clothes, having garage sales to raise money to send to Africa, praying that I come in contact with genuine people who want to make a difference, just doing anything that I can do to help. Homes need to be built and children need to be fed and clothed. While I cannot be there now, I am determined to help out from afar, with anyone else who is willing and kind enough to share with those in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment